Special Education Needs

 Our school is an inclusive school where every child matters; we aim to address children’s needs and support their development in the most appropriate way possible and celebrate effort as much as achievement. Our school’s SEND policy document is available on this website, detailing our philosophy in relation to SEND. Some children may have difficulties with:
  • Reading, writing or maths
  • Understanding information and other people
  • Expressing themselves
  • Relating to other children or adults
  • Sensory perception or physical mobility

These difficulties can cause barriers to learning. The purpose of this guide is to provide more information about how we teach and support children to achieve their potential.


Who are the best people to talk to about additional support?

  • In the first instance the class teacher; they are best placed to know your child’s needs.
  • SENDCo: Mrs Melanie Barrow
  • Head of School: Mrs Imogen Wallis


How does the school identify children who need SEND support?

A child has a special educational need if he or she has a learning disability that means he or she has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age. Or has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.

 The assessments we use include:

  • Listening to the views of children
  • Informal meetings with parents / carers
  • Assessment for learning; setting achievable, measurable targets and monitoring children’s success in achieving those targets
  • Termly class assessments which are shared and tracked at pupil progress meetings
  • Discussions with and observations by literacy / numeracy leaders and SENDCo
  • Consideration of any difficulties with memory, motor skills and vocabulary
  • Standardised Assessments (phonological assessments, vocabulary assessments, early numeracy test)
  • Information sharing between teachers, support services, parents / carers with the pupil’s involvement as appropriate
  • Developmental history with parents including speech and language issues
  • Referral and consultation with educational psychologist
  • Referral to the school nursing team
  • Speech and language therapists


What types of support are available?

We assess each child individually and provide personalised support within three levels:



Quality First Teaching this is what every child should expect at Gt. Whelnetham CEVCP School.

  • We start from what the children already know and set small targets or learning objectives.
  • We then plan and teach differentiated activities and provide small group support to enable children to achieve these targets.
  • We provide plenty of opportunities for practice.
  • We monitor progress.
  • We ensure that parents are aware of the nature of support and the reasons for it.
  • We listen to the views of parents and pupils and involve them in the decision making.
  • We consider children’s self- assessment.
  • We plan support from class teachers and specialist teaching assistants, we have regular parents’ evenings and write end of year reports.



  • We determine children’s areas of strength to establish whether the child has difficulties across the curriculum.
  • We collate data, assessment levels, phonics and spelling assessments.
  • We assess skills such as reading accuracy, fluency and comprehension, phonological awareness, auditory and visual memory.
  • We consider – underlying ability, behaviour, motor skills, medical needs and attendance.
  • We create a personal ‘pupil passport’.

Children may access some of the following small group interventions to achieve their targets:

  • Listening skills activities for English and maths
  • Speaking and listening activities based upon ELKLAN teaching methods
  • Pre- teaching of topic vocabulary
  • Gym trail
  • Talk Boost
  • Nurture group
  • Maths Catch Up
  • Dyslexia tendencies interventions
  • Social stories



This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher and SENDCO as needing a particularly high level of support or small group teaching. Usually your child will need support from professionals outside the school. This may be from Local Authority central service such as County Inclusive Support Services (CISS) working with children that have behaviour and autistic difficulties, Educational Psychologists, Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists and sensory services for students with a hearing or visual need.

 For your child this would mean creating a personal pupil passport detailing the provision which would include 1 to 1 interventions, a personalised curriculum, exercise programmes, Speech and Language programmes to support Speech Therapists.

 Sometimes the degree of support required may not be provided from the resources and budget available to the school. This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This is a legal process which sets out the support needed for your child in school.


How is extra support allocated to children?

Support is allocated on a needs basis and depending on children’s progress which is discussed at termly pupil progress meetings. Resources including staff are reviewed and deployed as appropriate. The SEND budget is used to deploy staff and buy appropriate resources. Additional money to support some children is available through the High Tariff Funding process. The school may apply for this on a termly need.


How will we measure the progress and review provision for your child?

  • School assessments including English, maths and PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education)
  • Reading / spelling tests
  • Progress against their individual targets including P scales from the end of Year 1 and EYFS goals in Year 1.
  • Reviews of interventions
  • We always involve children and their parents in the monitoring and review process.


How will the school work with me as a parent in discussions about my child and their learning?

  • we will invite you in to discuss their child and any concerns
  • we will discuss next steps in school and at home
  • we will make any referrals to outside agencies as necessary
  • we will implement any steps required at school and offer ideas for support at home
  • we will review progress termly and discuss next steps


How do we involve young people with SEN in discussions about their education and support?

  • We encourage children to talk about their learning and how to make it better.
  • We encourage the children to challenge themselves against their own personal targets and celebrate all achievement.
  • We have child friendly pupil passports that are created and reviewed with the children


How are adults in school helped to work with children with SEN and what training do they have?

All teachers are trained to provide Quality First Teaching and differentiate appropriately for all the children in their class. Teachers regularly attend training in supporting children with special educational needs through externally and internally run courses. Strategies are shared at staff meetings and other training days. Mrs Jenkins is a Nationally Accredited SENDCo and attends termly cluster meetings with other SENDCos and is part of the Bury Schools Partnership SEND Network.

We have specially trained Teaching Assistants to implement the following:

  • Nurture
  • EKLAN approaches to enhance speech and language skills
  • Maths Catch Up
  • Talk Boost


How can I tell the school I am concerned about my child’s progress or well- being?

Your first step should be to talk to your child’s teacher. If you feel that additional support is needed beyond the universal level of provision, please speak to: The Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENDCO) Mrs Sarah Jenkins or Headteacher: Mrs Kath Parkin using the contact form on this website.


 How will the teaching and curriculum be adapted for my child with SEN? 

  • Differentiated work
  • Teaching assistant support
  • Visual timetables and visual prompts; now, next, later schedules
  • Workstations
  • Resources; such as support aids, headphones, Computer programs and software
  • Specialised reading books
  • Coloured overlays
  • Work copied on different coloured paper or different coloured backgrounds on the interactive whiteboards.


How is Gt Whelnetham accessible with children with SEND?

Physical: The school is on one level, all entrances and exits are accessible and there are two fully equipped disabled toilets. Additional resources are available as required.

Visual: All classes have interactive whiteboards, laptops and access to Ipads to enable resources to be visual. Visual prompts and visual timetables are available for all children or they are personalised.

Auditory: Seating arrangements are considered and additional resources such as headphones can be used.

 Kinaesthetic: Tactile resources are readily accessible and there are spaces for outdoor learning.


How will we support your child when they leave our school or move into another class?

 Children are prepared for their new classes or schools using discussion times such as circle times; they meet new teachers; personalised books are made which will include photos of significant adults; resources and equipment which are discussed in school and sent home as a talking point; visits to new classes and schools are made over time.


 Where else can I find support information as a parent of a child with SEN?

  • You can read our school policies on relevant issues by visiting our website
  • Behaviour Policy including anti bullying
  • Complaints Procedure via the Governing Body
  • SEND policy


Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND?

  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Local Advisory Teacher
  • Educational Psychologist
  • School Improvement Service
  • Child and family support service
  • Paediatricians
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services
  • Access and Assessment team
  • GP, School Nursing Services and Health Visitors
  • County Inclusive Support Services (CISS)
  • Occupational and Physiotherapists